Close Menu
Gay Sydney News
  • News
  • Nightlife & venues
  • Community & events
  • Arts & culture
  • People & profiles
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • GSN podcast
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Spotify Bluesky Threads TikTok LinkedIn
Saturday, May 16
Gay Sydney News
TikTok Instagram Spotify Facebook X (Twitter) Bluesky Threads LinkedIn
  • News
  • Nightlife & venues
  • Community & events
  • Arts & culture
  • People & profiles
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • GSN podcast
Gay Sydney News
Home » News » ‘It breaks our heart’: Fair Day cancelled due to asbestos

‘It breaks our heart’: Fair Day cancelled due to asbestos

Ben Grubb and Eliot HastieBen Grubb and Eliot HastieFebruary 14, 2024, 9:00amUpdated:April 28, 2024, 9:54am03 Mins Read

The City of Sydney and Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras have cancelled this Sunday’s Fair Day due to bonded asbestos found in mulch at Victoria Park.

This comes despite event organisers believing they could run the event safely as late as 5pm on Tuesday.

A source close to the event told GSN at on Tuesday evening that Fair Day would go ahead with safety precautions in place, such as fencing and mesh, around affected areas.

A spokesperson for Mardi Gras publicly also assured Sydney newspaper City Hub on Tuesday that “We’re progressing as normal”.

The now-cancelled plan to go ahead with the event was confirmed again in a statement to the Mardi Gras Instagram account on Wednesday morning, where it said it had been working with the City of Sydney to co-ordinate clean-up of the asbestos “while bumping in Fair Day infrastructure in time to hold the event”.

But the decision to go ahead with the event has now been reversed.

“Following a more detailed investigation into the safety concerns at Victoria Park, it has become clear to the City and Sydney Mardi Gras that an event of the scale of Fair Day is unable to proceed this Sunday,” the City of Sydney said in a statement issued at 7am on Wednesday.

A sign at Victoria Park on Tuesday afternoon.

The event, which is estimated to attract more than 70,000 people, was due to feature performances from the likes of Paul Capsis, Royston Noell and DJ Nate.

Sydney Lord Mayor Clover more said cancelling the event “was an incredibly disappointing decision, as Fair Day is a pivotal part of the Mardi Gras calendar”.

“But we have to put the safety of our community first,” she said.

Moore said Wednesday’s decision underscored how serious the issue is.

“The NSW Government and the Environment Protection Authority must make sure this never happens again.”

Mardi Gras chief executive officer Gil Beckwith said Fair Day was one of the most beloved events on the calendar.

“It breaks our heart to see this Sunday not go ahead, but given the safety concerns we must put our communities’ wellbeing first,” she said.

Beckwith said the Mardi Gras festival was still bursting with events, including Oxtravanganza, a free community event showcasing local businesses.

“This cancellation is a setback,” Beckwith said. “However, it presents us with an opportunity to unite and support one another more strongly.

“The rest of our festival continues unchanged, offering many chances over the 17 days for our communities to come together in celebration and solidarity.”

Asbestos was commonly used in building materials for strength, fire resistance and insulation before it was found to be a cancer and lung disease hazard.

Manufacturing of all asbestos cement products ceased in 1987.

While bonded asbestos is a less hazardous form of asbestos, it is still potentially toxic.

Ben Grubb
Gay Sydney News editor | +61414197508 | Website

Ben Grubb is the founder and editor of Gay Sydney News, an independent publication covering LGBTQIA+ news. A journalist with more than 15 years' experience, he has reported and edited for The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, WAToday, Brisbane Times, The Australian Financial Review, News.com.au, ZDNet, TelecomTimes and iTnews, primarily on the topic of technology. He previously hosted The Informer, a queer current affairs program on Melbourne’s JOY 94.9 radio station, and contributes to LGBTQIA+ media including Stun Magazine. Ben has also appeared as a technology commentator on Channel Ten's The Project, ABC RN’s Download This Show and commercial radio stations 2UE, 2GB and 6PR. Contact Ben: [email protected]

Eliot Hastie
Gay Sydney News reporter

Eliot Hastie is a senior news producer at Channel Ten, reporting on a range of general stories, specialising in foreign affairs and LGBTQ+ stories. He’s also a reporter for Gay Sydney News, where he covers LGBTQIA+ culture, politics and nightlife. He previously helped to build and launch ausbiz, Australia's only live streaming finance news channel, where he was also an executive producer and host. He has previously worked as a finance and business journalist for publications including Fintech Business, Real Estate Business and other Momentum Media titles. Eliot holds a journalism degree from the University of Westminster and brings experience in both broadcast and digital reporting. Contact Eliot: [email protected]

Subscribe to our newsletter

Related posts:

  1. Flash vows to keep party alive after council crackdown
  2. Drag story time cancelled at Sydney aquarium over threats
  3. All the winners of the 2025 Drag Industry Variety Awards
  4. Sydney Mardi Gras members to vote on depoliticising board

Related Posts

July 1, 2025, 10:37pm

Flash vows to keep party alive after council crackdown

February 17, 2024, 9:41am

Drag story time cancelled at Sydney aquarium over threats

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Help us out
Support us $$
Latest on our Instagram
  • Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras has confirmed its official 2026 after-party will take place at Moore Park’s Entertainment Quarter, but says it is postponing further announcements in light of the Bondi terrorist attack.
  • Sydney LGBTQIA+ dance festival RAYDIA has cancelled its 2026 return only weeks after tickets went on sale.

#gaysydney #gaysydneyaustralia #sydney
  • Responding to a member question about whether Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras had outsourced the party, CEO Jesse Matheson said at its annual general meeting on Saturday (November 29) that the organisation would be “making an announcement about Mardi Gras Party in the next week or so”.

Report by @bengrubb.

#sydneymardigras #mardigras #sydney
  • Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras members have narrowly supported a move towards a publicly funded festival, passing the motion by just nine votes in an annual general meeting defined by several tight vote margins and competing visions for the organisation.

Report by @bengrubb.

#sydneymardigras #mardigras #gaysydney
  • Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras members have elected four directors – three new and one returning – to the charity’s board, ending the election bids of several candidates aligned with both Protect Mardi Gras and Pride in Protest.

Report by @bengrubb.

#sydneymardigras #mardigras #gaysydney #gaysydneyaustralia
  • Stonewall Hotel’s former co-owners were bought out by the venue’s new American owner using shares valued at $US6 million ($A9.2 million) when the deal to acquire the Sydney gay bar was struck – stock that has since more than doubled in value.

Report by @bengrubb.

#gaysydney #gaysydneyaustralia #sydney

Follow us

TikTok Instagram Spotify Facebook X (Twitter) Bluesky Threads LinkedIn
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Our Authors
  • Help fund us
  • Our supporters
  • Corrections
  • Code of ethics
  • Terms of use
  • Privacy Policy
  • GSN podcast
© 2024–2025 Gay Sydney News: ABN 78 015 021 571 All rights reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.