Close Menu
Gay Sydney News
  • News
  • Nightlife & venues
  • Community & events
  • Arts & culture
  • People & profiles
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • GSN podcast
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Spotify Bluesky Threads TikTok LinkedIn
Friday, May 15
Gay Sydney News
TikTok Instagram Spotify Facebook X (Twitter) Bluesky Threads LinkedIn
  • News
  • Nightlife & venues
  • Community & events
  • Arts & culture
  • People & profiles
  • Politics
  • Opinion
  • GSN podcast
Gay Sydney News
Home » News » Sydney cafe owner blames queer people after abrupt closure

Sydney cafe owner blames queer people after abrupt closure

Eliot HastieEliot HastieMay 6, 2025, 6:16pm03 Mins Read

A Sydney cafe has shut its doors just six weeks after opening, with the owner blaming queer people in the community for its closure.

Bueno Eatery, which opened in March in St Peters, was launched by Mark Da Costa — the former owner of Waterloo cafe Hale & Hearty.

Bueno Eatery owner Mark Da Costa and a since-deleted post.

Da Costa previously courted controversy in 2020 after making a series of homophobic, transphobic, and sexist remarks, alongside public support for US President Donald Trump. He branded Hale & Hearty a "Donald Trump safe zone" and promoted pancakes "with a side of racism".

The venue closed soon after, with Da Costa blaming the “left-wing fake vegan community” and telling critics to "go f–k yourself".

In a recent interview with The Sydney Morning Herald, Da Costa claimed he had changed.

"Those comments made by me were childish to say the least and opinions I do not hold today," he said. "I don't participate in political matters any more and will only concern myself with providing the locals and Sydney an eatery where they can feel like the food adds value to their own personal health goals."

However, that message quickly unravelled. In a social media post announcing the closure of Bueno Eatery, Da Costa appeared wearing a Trump T-shirt and red hat, flipping the bird to the camera.

“We closed. Yeah, we can't survive in an area where people can't figure out if they are male, female, dogs or cats,” the post read.

It continued: “Unfortunately the owner's views [Mark Da Costa] are simple. You got a dick you're a male, you got a muffin you’re a female."

The post went on to describe St Peters as the wrong location for the business, adding: “He she they them is some weird behaviour we are happy to avoid" and "Queers are confused and angry gays are happy and normal".

The cafe’s Instagram bio was briefly updated to read "f–k you all" before the page was deleted.

Before shutting down his social media, Da Costa — a former Australian Idol contestant — told news.com.au he planned to release a song about the closure.

“What a shit hole. Releasing a song about it in June … so that you can be offended by it. F–kin snowflakes. The lot of them,” he wrote, also calling the reporter "a bitch".

There was no clear way for Gay Sydney News to reach Da Costa for comment as the cafe's Instagram page is now shut down.

Eliot Hastie
Gay Sydney News reporter

Eliot Hastie is a senior news producer at Channel Ten, reporting on a range of general stories, specialising in foreign affairs and LGBTQ+ stories. He’s also a reporter for Gay Sydney News, where he covers LGBTQIA+ culture, politics and nightlife. He previously helped to build and launch ausbiz, Australia's only live streaming finance news channel, where he was also an executive producer and host. He has previously worked as a finance and business journalist for publications including Fintech Business, Real Estate Business and other Momentum Media titles. Eliot holds a journalism degree from the University of Westminster and brings experience in both broadcast and digital reporting. Contact Eliot: [email protected]

Subscribe to our newsletter

Related posts:

  1. Australian HIV diagnoses increased last year – but the long-term trend is downward
  2. Universal Sydney launches new mid-week queer party for uni students
  3. 'It's tough for him as well', lawyer says of client accused of double murder
  4. Mardi Gras reports $400k surplus. Here's everything you need to know
Bueno Eatery Hale & Hearty Mark Da Costa St Peters

Related Posts

November 19, 2025, 12:15pm

Universal Sydney launches new mid-week queer party for uni students

September 4, 2024, 6:43pm

Australian HIV diagnoses increased last year – but the long-term trend is downward

Add A Comment
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Help us out
Support us $$
Latest on our Instagram
  • Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras has confirmed its official 2026 after-party will take place at Moore Park’s Entertainment Quarter, but says it is postponing further announcements in light of the Bondi terrorist attack.
  • Sydney LGBTQIA+ dance festival RAYDIA has cancelled its 2026 return only weeks after tickets went on sale.

#gaysydney #gaysydneyaustralia #sydney
  • Responding to a member question about whether Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras had outsourced the party, CEO Jesse Matheson said at its annual general meeting on Saturday (November 29) that the organisation would be “making an announcement about Mardi Gras Party in the next week or so”.

Report by @bengrubb.

#sydneymardigras #mardigras #sydney
  • Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras members have narrowly supported a move towards a publicly funded festival, passing the motion by just nine votes in an annual general meeting defined by several tight vote margins and competing visions for the organisation.

Report by @bengrubb.

#sydneymardigras #mardigras #gaysydney
  • Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras members have elected four directors – three new and one returning – to the charity’s board, ending the election bids of several candidates aligned with both Protect Mardi Gras and Pride in Protest.

Report by @bengrubb.

#sydneymardigras #mardigras #gaysydney #gaysydneyaustralia
  • Stonewall Hotel’s former co-owners were bought out by the venue’s new American owner using shares valued at $US6 million ($A9.2 million) when the deal to acquire the Sydney gay bar was struck – stock that has since more than doubled in value.

Report by @bengrubb.

#gaysydney #gaysydneyaustralia #sydney

Follow us

TikTok Instagram Spotify Facebook X (Twitter) Bluesky Threads LinkedIn
  • About us
  • Contact us
  • Newsletter
  • Our Authors
  • Help fund us
  • Our supporters
  • Corrections
  • Code of ethics
  • Terms of use
  • Privacy Policy
  • GSN podcast
© 2024–2025 Gay Sydney News: ABN 78 015 021 571 All rights reserved.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.